Saviour Church - 1706

Spasskaya Church, situated opposite Epiphany Cathedral, is the sole remnant of the original fort.
The oldest stone building in the city (and oldest building standing in Eastern Siberia)
it closed in 1931 but is now a museum.
It is the only church in Russia east of the Urals to have external frescoes. The east wall's fresco depicts three scenes.
From the left these signify the baptism of local Buryat people, the baptism of Christ, and the canonisation of Irkutsk's first bishop.

previous picture  return to gallery   next picture