icebreaker ferries were built in 1900 - Angara for passengers and
Baikal for rolling stock.
The ships were designed and prefabricated in Britain by Armstrongs on
Tyneside then shipped in kit form to Tallinn.
Moved from there by rail they reached a specially built shipyard on
Baikal where they were assembled.
Angara remained in passenger service on other routes until 1962 and is
now open as a museum in Irkutsk.
previous picture return to gallery next picture