English Churches - Cambridgeshire
The North and South Transepts
transepts are part of the Norman cathedral, built around
1090. They have classic Norman arcading around the walls.
The top windows were replaced when the C15th painted hammer
beam ceilings was added. This has winged angels along the
Off the south transept is the Chapel of St Dunstan and St Ethelwold, who were refounded the Benedictine Monastery in Ely after Viking raids in the C9th.
The arches of the South transept are picked out with blue paint. The painting of the Angel releasing St Peter is C16th and was the reredos before being replaced by the present Gilbert Scott one. Below is the Tabula Eliensis, which hung in the monk’s refectory. It shows the Norman knights stationed with the monks after the defeat of Hereward the Wake. Below is an old strong chest.
St Edmund’s Chapel off the North transept has the remain of C14th Wall paintings, the only ones to survive in Ely. They originally showed scenes from the life of St Edmund, but only his martyrdom at the top of the north wall can be seen clearly. It shows him tied to a tree before being shot by arrows. Below, the wall is painted to imitate cloth wall hangings with stripes on the north wall and circles on the south wall.
Next to it is St George’s Chapel, which is the Cambridgeshire Regimental Chapel, dedicated to those who died in both world wars. Their names are written on a series of hinged oak panels.
Also in the north transept is St Etheldreda’s processional banner.
||Back to top