English Churches - Derbyshire
A private chapel with lovely wall paintings
|The chapel is in the corner of the
lower courtyard of Haddon
Hall, with steps leading down into it. It is an
attractive oblong building with simple nave and south aisle
dating from the 12thC. A carved wooden screen separates the
chancel with the family pews from the nave with its simple
wooden pews which would be used by the servants.
On the north wall of the nave is a two decker pulpit with readers desk below.
There is a stone slab altar in the chancel with a beautiful carved alabaster reredos with scenes of the crucifixion on it.
In the windows are pieces of medieval glass. The east window has the crucifixion with the Virgin Mary and St John.
In the nave is a replica of the lovely alabaster monument to Robert Charles John Manners who died in 1894 aged 9. The original is in the chapel at Belvoir Castle. He was the eldest son of Henry John Brinsley Manners, Marquis of Gransby and his wife Violet, who designed the tomb. On the base are cameos of Henry and Violet as well as their other children.
The walls are covered with wall paintings. On the west wall is a design of leaves and flowers which is immediately recognisable from the Haddon Hall Minton china so popular in the 1960s and 70s.
At the back of the south aisle are three skeletons, in black outline.
On the south wall is St Christopher.
On the north wall and in the chancel are smaller pictures showing scenes from the life of St Nicholas including blessing passengers in a small ship and another of small three small children in a tub with kneeling figures receiving a blessing.