English Churches - Lincolnshire
The burial place of the Cecil's of Burghley House
church stood outside the city walls and was regarded as
separate from the other medieval churches. This may explain
why it became part of the Diocese of Peterborough in 1541
while the other Stamford churches were in the Diocese of
Lincoln. It was transferred back to Lincoln in 1990.
There has been a church on this site since the late C12th although nothing remains of this church which was completely rebuilt in the C15th. Tucked between housing, only the west front and south porch are visible from the road. It is a very plain building with battlemented side aisles and tall crocketted pinnacles on the tower. The tower is very similar to that of the church of St John the Baptist and may have been built by the same group of masons.
The wooden screen across the base of the tower with a carving of St George is a memorial to those in the parish who died in the First World War. At the back of the church is the early C14th font, which may have come from an earlier church on this site.
A small doorway and stone spiral staircase leads to the room above the south porch.
This was probably a priestís room, but is now the Chapel of the Good Shepherd.
Above the chancel arch is the Royal Coat of Arms. The wood nave roof is C18th, The side aisles still have the original C15th roof.
The elaborately carved wooden pulpit is C19th.
The great east window contains C15th and C16th glass., including some which came from Tattershall Church.
The choir stalls are highly carved and give access into the North Chapel which contains the burial vault of the Cecil Family of Burghley House.
Set under an arch between the chancel and north chapel is the splendid tomb of William Cecil, Lord Burghley who died in 1598. He was Lord high Treasurer of England and Privy Counsellor to Elizabeth I.
The north chapel has monuments to other members of the family and hatchments hanging on the walls. There is a monument to Williamís parents, Richard and Jane Cecil.
The church is a short walk from the other medieval churches in Stamford and is across the river. It is worth finding and is open daily. There is no parking by the church. The post code is PE9 2LF and the grid reference is TF031068.
||Back to top