English Churches - Lincolnshire
An attractive parish church with some old carved stones
in the walls
is a small village above the south bank of the River Humber.
The area has been settled since Roman times and there was a
ford or ferry across the river here. There was a church
recorded here in the Domesday Book.
The church is at the western end of the village and surrounded by trees. It is an attractive building of local ironstone with millstone grit ashlared tower.
The nave is C12th and replaced the smaller, earlier church. The side aisles were added later as was the chancel. The tower dates from the late C15th. The church was in poor condition and there was a major rebuild in the mid C19th. Much of the stonework was reused and old carved stones can be seen. High on the north wall is a large square stone with what could be a carved figure.
On the east end of the south transept is a small carved figure which might have come from an old grave.
On the south wall are the remains of what could be an old gravestone.
Entry is through the south porch with a wooden door with a smaller inset door. The font is just inside the door, with its tall wooden cover and dates from 1850.
Arcades of round pillars separate the nave and side aisles. The north arcade with its pointed arches is actually slightly earlier than the south arcade with its round arches.
The pillars have carved capitals and the underside of the arches are decorated with carving.
The woodwork dates from the mid C19th restoration and there is a small chapel in the south transept.
The chancel is very plain with a wooden altar with royal blue drapes behind it.
On the south wall is a double piscina.
On the wall above it is a brass memorial to a Victorian rector. Set under an arch on the north wall is a stone effigy of a C13th knight in armour with his feet resting on a lion. This is thought to be William Marmion who was Lord of the Manor and died in 1276.
The glass is all C19th and was given in memory of local families.
This is a very attractive church. It is kept locked but the churchwarden lives in the village and has a key. It is also possible to go up the tower, but the spiral staircase is narrow and very steep and it is also quite a scramble out onto the roof.
There is parking by the church. The nearest post code is DN15 9NY and the grid reference is SE 924224
||Back to top