English Churches - Lincolnshire
An attractive C19th church which still retains a Saxon archway into the tower
is one of the string of five ‘Low Villages’ nestling under
the northern edge of the Lincolnshire Wolds between Brigg
and the River Humber. The name is Saxon and there was a
church here in Saxon times. All that remains of this church
is the lovely Saxon Arch at the base of the tower. The
present church is set above the eastern edge of the village
and isn’t visible from the main road through the village. It
was almost completely rebuilt between 1873-5 in the early
English Gothic style.
Externally it is a simple church with a tall narrow tower at the west end topped with a short spire. The corners of the tower and chancel are well buttressed.
Entry is through the south porch. Inside it is an attractive church with bare stone walls and wood beamed roof. Arcades separate nave and side aisles.
The beautiful Saxon arch has been preserved leading into the base of the tower.
Furnishings are C19th. The C19th stone font is in the south aisle. Next to it on the floor is the remains of the Saxon font, having been serving as a garden tub for many years.
Steps lead up to the chancel with a modern altar in front of a stone reredos. The east window has a single panel of stained glass showing Christ Crucified.
On the floor to the left of the altar is an incised slab dating from 1325. It is made from a very dark marble and depicts a merchant and his wife with dogs at their feet. This was originally on the floor of the tower but was moved here in 2010 after conservation.
On a ledge in the vestry at the end of the south aisle is a C14th effigy of a lady which was moved from the porch. In front of it is the Tudor altar, with the parish strong box beneath.
The St Clement’s window in the north aisle has images of St Clement and St Hugh. St Clement is on the left, with the anchored that was tied to him when he was martyred by being flung into the sea. St Hugh is shown on the right with his pet swan.
On the window ledge at the back of the church is part of a carving of a Roman foot which was dug up in the churchyard.
The church is open daylight hours on Tuesdays, Saturdays and Sundays. There is on street parking near the church. The nearest post code is DN20 0NH and the grid reference is TA 015140
||Back to top