English Churches - Lincolnshire
Splendid monuments to the Cust family and the Lords of
is the Parish Church for the village, although most people
visit during a visit to Belton House. It is tucked away in a
corner of the gardens by the orangery.
There has been a church on this site since the C11th and the north arcade with its massive round pillars with incised lozenges and carved round arches dates from this time. The rest of the nave is C15th. The tower was rebuilt in the C17th and the chancel in the early C18th.
It is an attractive building with square battlemented tower with tall crocketed pinnacles at the corners. There is a short battlemented nave and lower chancel. On the north wall is a memorial chapel, built as a family mausoleum by the First Lord Brownelowe in 1816.
It is quite a small church inside and every surface of the walls is covered with Cust and Brownlowe memorials. They date from the end of the C17th up to 1917. There are simple stone plaques and more elaborate busts set between pillars and carved porticos with cherubs and putti.
The memorial chapel on the north wall is splendid with fan vaulting and ornate metal gates, and was built for the memorial of Sophia, first wife of Lord Brownelowe. She stands in a classical pose with a portrait medallion on a pillar at the back of the chapel. In front is the magnificent tomb with the effigy of John Cust, First Lord Brownlowe, wearing his coronet. On the west wall under an elaborate ogee arch is the tomb of John Hume, Viscount Alford.
The rest of the church is almost insignificant in comparison. There are simple wooden pews with poppyheads. At the back of the church is a Norman carved stone font standing on four legs. The carved wooden pulpit is Jacobean and has a sounding board above.
A pointed arch leads into the chancel which has a wood beam ceiling. There is a simple altar with a small gilt reredos with Christ in the centre and saints on either side. Above is a C19th stained glass window. On either side are panels with the Ten Commandments.
The post code for the church is NG32 2LZ. The grid reference is SK 930395.
||Back to top