English Churches - Lincolnshire
A nice church with the cheapest refreshments in Lincoln
Benedict's Church is a small stone building set off High
Street, in the centre of the shopping area in Lincoln. It is
an attractive setting with a splendid war memorial outside
it with flower borders.
Now no longer used as a church, this is the Mothers' Union Centre. A board outside advertises " Open for Rest and Refreshments, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays 10-2.30." This is an excellent chance to look inside the church and also has the cheapest refreshments in Lincoln.
There has been a church on the site since 1107, although only the chancel, north aisle and tower survive. The church was badly damaged in the Civil War and the nave was pulled down.
The short stumpy tower is the oldest surviving part of the church. The north aisle was rebuilt in the C14th and still has its original roof. Below the eaves of the roof on the outside of the church are a series of lovely carved corbels with faces.
Entry is through a simple square doorway at the base of the tower, still with its wooden beam lintel. Inside, the church has a lovely wood beamed roof with wooden slats between the beams and beautiful carved heads at the base of the beams.
There is a single pillar with acanthus leaf capitals and pointed arches separating chancel and north aisle. On the north wall of the chancel is a C15th statue of Mary Magdalene. On the south wall is a double piscina and the remains of a sedilia.
At the east end is a table altar with bulbous legs and a carved frieze round the top. The font and pulpit are Jacobean. The floor standing altar has carved wood panels.
On the south wall, but easily missed as it is very dark, is a memorial brass to John Becke an alderman of the City of Lincoln and twice mayor. He died in 1620. He is shown kneeling with his seven sons. Facing them is his wife Mary who died in 1617 and their three daughters. Two of the children are holding skulls showing they died young. Above the prayer desk is the coat of arms of the Drapery Company.
In the north aisle is the royal coat of arms.
The windows contain plain glass except for the window on the south wall of the chancel which has three inset pieces of Medieval glass.
This is a small, solidly built church with a long history. The ladies serving refreshments are very welcoming and it is good to see the church still in use.
There is no parking by the church. The post code is LN5 7AR and the grid reference is SK 975711.
||Back to top