English Churches - Norfolk
the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Walsingham was the most
famous catholic shrine in Europe. The Catholic faith was
banned and Catholics were not allowed to worship openly
until the early C19th. In 1897, Pope Leo XIII gave
permission for the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham to be
re-founded in the newly built Roman Catholic Church in
Kingís Lynn. The first Roman Catholic Pilgrimage was held to
the restored C14th Slipper Chapel just outside Little
Walsingham. This was the last of the wayside chapels where
pilgrims stopped on their way to Walsingham. A temporary
Catholic Church was built in Little Walsingham in 1950s, the
first since for over 400 years.
In 2006, this was replaced by a very stylish modern brick and flint church, which was designed to be Britainís first carbon neutral church with solar panels on the roof. The stone cross on the front of the church came from the original church. The date in Roman numerals is picked out in brick on the front of the church.
Entry is into the narthex with a small shop. Inside it is a round church set under the round tower, with wooden benches arranged around the walls and exposed girders supporting the roof.
The simple stone altar is set in front of the stained glass window with the image of Christ Crucified.
The font is just inside the doorway. The Holy Oils are displayed in a cupboard behind it.
The church is open daily and is set back off Friday Market. The nearest car park is at Old Mills off Cokerís Hill. The nearest post code is NR22 6DB and the grid reference is TF 933367.
||Back to top