English Churches - County Durham
A Saxon tower and west wall.
north east was the cradle of Christianity in the C7th and a
monastery was established here. Along with that of Jarrow, it
became one of the most important seats of learning in
Europe. It was destroyed during Viking raids and again by
Malcolm III of Scotland in 1070. It then became a small
monastic cell attached to Durham Cathedral.
Now a suburb of Sunderland, all that remains are the Saxon tower and west wall of the Nave. The rest of the building was heavily restored in the C19th.
The tall narrow tower is typically Saxon with round topped Saxon doorways at the base and small Saxon windows. The top is Norman and has the typical double Saxon/Norman windows.
The west wall of the nave is tall and narrow, typically Saxon and has a Saxon arch into the base of the tower. Above is a smaller doorway which would have been accessed by a wooden ladder. There are two small round topped Saxon/Norman windows above this.
These pictures were taken in 1982 but have been included here as St Peterís is such an important part of our Christian heritage.
The nearest post code is SR6 0DY and the grid reference is NZ 402578.
||Back to top