English Churches - Northumberland
A small modern church, serving the catholic community
|St Aidanís is a small brick timber and stone building near the main coach park on Holy Island.
In the C18th and C19th there were few Catholics living on the island and they were served by visiting priests from either Wooler of Haggerston. With increasing numbers of pilgrims to Holy Island during the C20th a more permanent presence was needed on the island and mass was said in a room in Lindisfarne House on Green Lane. St Aidanís Church was built in 1957 and was refurbished in 2005-7.
From the outside it is a plain timber clad building abutting onto Lindisfarne House. Only the cross on the wall distinguishes it as a church.
Inside the church is a large welcoming area which leads through glass glazed doors into the church. This is unusual as the altar is at the west end rather than the east end.
It is an attractive building with whitewashed walls and a deep pink west wall. The chancel area is on a slightly raised dais and has light wood modern furnishings. On the end wall is a small crucifix above the host box.
There are wood carvings of the stations of the cross on the walls.
The three stained glass windows have representations of St Aidan, the Virgin and Child and St Peter.
The church is always open but Mass is only available when a visiting priest is on the island and these times are posted on the church door. The nearest post code is TD15 2SG and the grid reference is NU 127421.
||Back to top