H1 Section English Churches - South West
A small C19th building which survived the 1952 flood with little structural damage
entered the history books after a disasterous flood in 1952, which
demolished nearly all the village. Although the Church of St John the
Baptist was flooded, it escaped with little structural damage. The now
unused south aisle has an exhibition with display panels about the
village and the flood.
It is a small stone building in the centre of the village next to the River East Lyn. It was built in 1870 with a south aisle added later , The small belfry was added in 1921 as a memorial to the dead of the Great War. In the centre of the village, this is surrounded by an attractive memorial garden.
It is a simple building with nave and apse chancel and an arcade of round pillars and pointed arches leading into the large south aisle. The style with its lancet windows is very much Early English rather than Victorian Gothic.
The nave has a wood beamed roof. The apse has a vaulted stone roof. The wood altar has a carved front. The east window depicts the crucifixion.
The elaborately carved stone font is at the back of the church.
The church is open daily and there is a large car park next to it. The nearest post code is EX35 6EP and the grid reference is SS 724494.
||Back to top