English Churches - North Yorkshire
A nice church in a busy market town
is a busy small market town with a range of shops and pubs.
A wooden church was first built here in the C8th on the site
of a pagan temple, but was destroyed by the Vikings. The
present church was built about 1250, although the
chancel was rebuilt in the C19th. The porch was added about
1400 and has a priests room above, reached by stairs inside
the south door.
There is a big square tower at the west end with battlements and corner pinnacles. The clerestory nave and south porch are battlemented with flat roofs. The chancel and large chapel to the north have tall pointed roofs.
Inside it is a big church. Stone arcades separate the nave and side aisles and are a mixture of round and octagonal pillars with pointed arches. At the back of the nave is an octagonal font with shields and diamond shapes carved round the bowl and the base. Walls are whitewashed plaster and there is a wood ceiling. Pews are C19th.
The arcade continues on the north side to the end of the chancel.
The carved rood screen extends across chancel and side aisles. This has carved base panels with very delicate tracery above. The roof is painted blue. The altar rail has open carved panels. There is a wood panelled reredos under the east window.
Between chancel and side chapels is a carved parclose screen. The south chapel contains the organ. The north chapel has an altar with a heavy wood reredos with heavily carved dark panels with biblical scenes.
The church is open daily from 9-5, but later on a Wednesday morning as there is a service at 10am. There is no parking by the church but there is a large pay and display car park off the main street. The post code is YO62 6AZ and the grid reference is SE 697866.
||Back to top