Pilgrim Churches of the Llyn Peninsula
Some history and the nave
is a delightful small settlement of grey stone houses at the
tip of the Llyn Peninsula. The church in the centre of the
village is unusual as it is one of the few medieval churches
in the area with a tower. It is dedicated to the C6th Saint
Engan, a local prince, who founded the first church here. He
was buried in the church which became a centre of pilgrimage
on the pilgrim route to Bardsey Island.
The present building is early C16th although there are traces of C13th stonework at the base of the north wall. Apart from the short square tower, it is a typical double aisled Llyn church. The north aisle was built first with the slightly wider south aisle added later with a porch. The tower was the last to be built in 1534.
Inside it feels a big church with an arcade of pillars and low pointed arches separating the two aisles. Walls are whitewashed and there is a wood beamed ceiling. Pews are simple wooden benches.
By the door is an ancient wooden money chest which may have come from St Maryís Abbey on Bardsey Island after the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
At the back of the south aisle is an octagonal stone font with quatrefoils carved round the font.
||Back to top