North Wales Churches
The ruins of a small monastery and C12th church
Priory is a delightful spot at the south eastern tip of
Anglesey. In the 6thC, the Celtic St Seiriol established a
small monastery here by a holy well. It was very prosperous
by the C10th but was looted and destroyed by the Danes. The
Abbey Church was replaced by a stone building in the C12th
and is regarded as the finest and most complete examples of
a church of this period in Gwynedd.
In the early C13th, the Celtic community was reorganised under the Augustinian Rule and the refectory and dormitory buildings were added. The priory was dissolved in 1538 and became the property of the Bulkeleys of Beaumaris, who lived in the priorís lodging. They enclosed much of the land as a deer park with a tall stone wall round it and built the dovecot. The priory church remained in use as the parish church.
The priorís lodging is now a private house, but there is access to the church, the ruins of the monastic buildings, St Seiriol's well and the dovecote.
The dovecote is a massive stone building with massive domed roof with a cupola at the top. It was built by the Bulkeleys in 1600 and could house nearly 1,000 birds. Entry is through a tiny door with a step down. The inside is lined with nest boxes. The central pillar is thought to have provided support for the ladder needed to access the nest boxes. The doves could fly in and out of the cupola.
St Seiriol's well is reached by a path from the car park, past the monastic fish pond. It is surrounded by a stone wall and reached along a rough path with stones forming small steps. The lower part of the well chamber surrounded by flat stones may date back to early Christian times. The brick and stone shelter above with a stone shelf around the sides is early 18thC. The well also provided fresh water for the monastery.
The C13th south range below the church is now a roofless shell but contains a tall inscribed stone cross. On the ground floor were cellars and storage areas. On the first floor was the refectory, reached by an outside stair. It would have had a door into the cloisters which were at a higher level than the present road. Above would have been the dormitory. To the right is a later C16th building with a fireplace which may have been the private apartment for a senior member of the monastic community.
The Priory Church of St Seriol stands above the road and is reached up a flight of steps. It is a cruciform church with small central square tower with pyramid roof and small double Norman windows. There is a lovely Norman window on the south transept. The grassy area to the south of the church would have been the cloisters. Attached to the south side of the church is the priorís lodgings, now a private house.
Entering the church, first impressions are disappointing. The original chancel was restored in the C19th and now serves as the church. It is very plain with hammer beam roof with small gold flowers on the beams. Steps lead up to the sanctuary with altar and panelled reredos across the east end. This has a small Agnus Dei and a pelican on the panels.
On the wall near the pulpit is a small C13th Limoges enamel. The original is on the left, with a modern reproduction on the right. This was found buried near the altar during the C19th restoration work. It shows the figure of Christ with his right hand raised in blessing and holding a book in the other hand. The original may have been attached to the binding of a book, or on a shrine or processional cross.
By it is a lovely stained glass window dated 1969 ďPeace, be stillĒ with Jesus in a fishing boat, calming the storm. At the bottom are the images of two monks and Penmon Priory.
The best bit of the church is through the chancel arch and into the original Norman nave. The round crossing arches, sopported on pillars with carved capitals, are pure Norman with chevron and chequerboard carvings and are some of the best Norman carving in North Wales.
The south transept has blind Norman arcading round two walls with pillars with carved capitals and bases. Mounted on the west wall are two C12th carvings. One is a shiela-na-gig and the other of a man carrying an axe. Standing in the middle of the transept is a C10th cross. The Norman window has an image of St Christopher with the Christ Child. On the wall is a small slate memorial to Thomas Wilsford d.1645 with a shield with three lions and a skull in the bottom right hand corner, a reminder of manís mortality.
The old nave is now empty apart from a square font at the west end. This dates from around 1000 and has a carved geometric design, It may have been the base of a cross. Next to it is a small piscina made from an old pillar. Standing against the north wall is another cross dating from about 1000AD. It would originally have stood in the open. The cross has been broken and mended. The top is very eroded and may have come from another cross. The carving on the base shows a strong Scandinavian influence with plait and fretwork carvings.
It is worth going out through the south door to look at the outside with its tympanum of a carved dragon with its head twisted back, standing on a cross hatched pattern.
The church is at the end of the unclassified road to Black Point and is unlocked. There is parking by the priory. This is private and there is a charge of £2.50 which also includes the toll to drive down to Black Point at the tip of the peninsula with views across to Puffin Island and the North Wales Coast. The nearest post code is LL58 8RW and the grid reference is SH630807.
||Back to top