Isle of Man
Built in the C19th to serve the rapidly growing population of Laxey
population of Laxey grew rapidly in the 1840s with the growth of the
Laxey Mines. The nearest church was three miles away in Lonan. Land was
given by George William Dumbell, chairman of the Laxey Mining Company to
build a new church and a building fund was launched. The bishop and
archdeacon contributed but most of the money came from the mining
company. The architect was Ewan Christian, who had designed four
other churches on the island.
The church was consecrated in 1856 and cost £950 to build. Work in the mines was stopped for the day so miners could attend the consecration service. The church did not have a burial ground as bodies continued to be interred at Lonan Parish Church.
It is a very simple church, set back among the trees near the Manx Electric Tramway. It is built in the Early English style of architecture, with a small bell cote at the west end.
The church is equally as simple inside with whitewashed walls. beamed ceiling and tall lancet windows. The nave windows are plain glass. Those at the east and west ends have patterned stained glass. The stone font is by the north door.
The large organ is on the south wall with the wooden pulpit opposite. There is a small mass altar at the end of the nave.
A tall pointed arch leads into the chancel with wooden altar rail and altar.
The church is open daily from 10-4. The post code is IM4 7AZ and the grid refrence is SC 433845.
||Back to top