Isle of Man
A simple C19th church with beautiful C20th stained glass windows.
Maryís church, in the parish of Rushen, was built in 1884. The parish
church of Kirk Christ was midway between Port Erin and Port St Mary, and
a long walk, especially in the winter. It was also becoming too small
to accommodate the extra holiday makers.
The church was consecrated a few months later with no organ, heating, light or a porch. A tower was added later and gas lighting installed. Electricity didnít arrive to this part of the island until 1930 when it was installed in the church.
It is a large stone built church surrounded by grass and set back from Bay View Road. It has a low square tower on the south side.
Inside it feels a very large church with no aisles.
It is plain apart from the glorious C20th stained glass windows which glow in the sunlight. Walls are whitewashed and there is a wood beamed ceiling. The pews are stained wood. A pointed arch leads into the chancel.
At the back is a simple stone font.
The altar rail has carved flowers and there is wood panelling along the base of the east wall.
The stained glass east window depicts Jesus with the fisherman and stilling the storm, appropriate scenes for a fishing village.
Both the altar and pulpit have open carved designs.
The stained glass windows in the nave have all been given in memory of parishioners.
Donít miss the attractive design above the south door.
it is obvious the church is well cared for by the congregation. In some ways there isnít a lot to attract the casual visitor, apart from the stained glass. The church is open daily. The nearest post code is IM9 5RB and the grid reference is SC 210675.
||Back to top