Isle of Man

Port St Mary


Still an important harbour for pleasure and fihing boats


Port St Mary was originally a major fishing and trading port, with its own boat yards, while near by Port Erin was still a handful of fishing cottages along the beach.

Port St Mary

The older part of town is still snuggled round the harbour with streets lined with two story buildings.
 
Port St Mary, Isle of Man

The inner harbour with its small lighthouse at the end, was built 1812. It is tidal and dries out from half tide. The outer harbour was created in 1882 when the long Alfred Pier was built. This is accessible at all times, and is unique among Manx ports. RNLI lifeboat has a permanent floating mooring inside the outer breakwater.
 Port St Mary

The harbours are still busy, although they are now mainly used by pleasure craft and the Isle of Man Yacht club has its head quarters here.

Port St Mary, Isle of Man

There is still some fishing, mainly for crabs, lobsters and queenies.
 
Port St Mary, Isle of Man

The older part of the settlement is based around the harbour. Small Manx cottages can still be found here, although no longer with their thatched roofs.

Port St Mary, Isle of Man

There are large stone built warehouses and fisherman’s cottages nestling under the cliffs of the along the Underway. Above them are the larger houses of the merchants or ship owners.

Port St Mary, Isle of Man

Port St Mary, Isle of Man

The railway arrived in 1874, with a station to the north of the village next to the Station Hotel. Hotels for Victorian holiday makers were built along the Promenade overlooking Chapel Bay to the north of the Harbour. This is a small enclosed bay with golden sand at low tide.

Port St Mary, Isle of Man

Beyond is Gansey Point with Cronk ny Arrey Laa in the background

Port St Mary, Isle of Man

The Town Hall, an imposing stone built Victorian building is at the start of the Promenade and houses the local government offices and a tourist information point. This is thought to be built on the on the site of the original keeill which gives Port St Mary its name.

St Mary’s Church  is an imposing building in the centre of the town, midway between the Promenade and the harbour. It was built in 1884 by public subscription, so parishioners did not have to walk to Kirk Christ, as this was as this was ‘very inconvenient for them, especially in the winter season’.

<<Previous page
Back to top
Next page>>


Eleanor's Pages Index


MAIN SITE MAP