Classic Tour of Albania
A walled monastery dating from the C13th
part of the site is the walled Orthodox Monastery Church of
St Mary, dating from the C13th and which was restored in the
C19th when the bell tower was built.
It is entered through a large gateway.
The church is a lovely stone and brick building with a terracotta roof with a dome and a separate bell tower which was built later.
Across the front of the church is a portico with beautifully carved capitals.
There is the remains of a C13th fresco in the porch and a lovely icon set in a decorative metal case.
Inside the church, the painted iconostasis dates from 1927 as the original one was burnt in World War One. High on the nave wall is another C13/14th fresco. The dome also has the remains of a C15th fresco.
There are more C15th frescoes on the walls of the refectory building where the monks had their meals. This dates from the C14th is one of the rooms in the side wall facing the church.
||Back to top