Springtime in Holland

Day 5 The rest of the house at Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder


The church always had a resident priest until 1887, who lived in the middle of the three houses.


The rooms used by the resident priest are reached by a staircase behind the altar. There is a small display cabinet with church censer, chalice, cibarium for the holy wafers and the bell rung by the service boy.
 
Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder

Next to the Lady Chapel is the sacristy where the priest prepared for services. Drawers stored religious vestments.

Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder

Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder

On the floor below the church is a small confessional as well as the font, which can be moved into the church for baptisms. This was originally the living room of the rear house.

Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder      Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder

On the wall is another display of church silver.

Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder

Down some more stairs is a portrait of Parmentier, who was sent by Rome to convert the Ďheathensí of Amsterdam. We worked in Amsterdam for 45 years and was the first priest of the church here. He rented rooms in the house from Hartmen for 250 guilders a year. Hartmen added a codicil to his will that Parmentier should be allowed to continue to live in the house after his death. However, Hartmen died leaving huge debts and the house had to be sold to pay them and Parmentier had to move out. His room with box bed has been preserved. The room was very luxurious for the time and would have served as a study as well as bedroom.

Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder

Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder

A flight of stairs leads down to the C17th kitchens in the basement. The tiles, fireplace and floor are all original. A double door lead out into the side alley. The front area was used as a work area or shop. This has very tall windows to get as much light as possible. Behind it is the kitchen with a small fireplace. Cooking was done over an open peat fire using an iron grill Stews or soups were cooked in a large pot suspended from an iron chain.

Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder

Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder

Behind was the scullery. This is very dark as there is no natural light. Prepared food was stored here and dishes washed, using water pumped from the well. Tucked away in a corner is the privy, flushed with a bucket of water. This section of the house was lived in until 1952.

Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder        Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder

Another set of stairs leads down into the cellar area which now has a display area of church artefacts. These included candlesticks and a monstrance as well as church vestments.  

Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder       Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder

There is a carving of St Peter dated 1740 as well as a lovely alabaster relief of Eve holding the apple.

Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder   Museum Onsí Lieve Heer op Solder

This is a fascinating museum and completely different. It was a very well worth while visit.

<<Previous page
Back to top
Springtime in Holland Index>>


Eleanor's Pages Index


MAIN SITE MAP