In the old town and with fewer visitors
church is at the far end of Rua Santa Maria and away from the tourist
restaurants. It gets its name from the small square it is built beside.
It is a typical black and white Madeiran church with dark basalt corner
edging, door and window surrounds, Above the door is a white marble
statue of Our Lady. Reached up a short flight of steps, it is a large church and almost
impossible to photograph with trees in front of it. Although not easily
seen from the front of the church, the square white tower is a prominent
landmark from the waterfront.
The church was built in 1768, replacing an earlier church that was heavily damaged in an earthquake. Only the carved doors survive.
The inside of it church is very dark as there are only two small windows above the door and a modern stained glass window in the chancel. It is lit by two electric lights at the back of the church and a floodlight in the chancel.
It is a simple church with a nave and chancel and a small balcony above the door.
The tile lined baptistry is in an alcove at the back of the church.
The plaster walls have large gilt framed pictures as well smaller paintings of the stations of the cross. The nave ceiling is painted and chandeliers hang from it.
There is an elaborate painted wall pulpit and a small statue of the Virgin in a display case.
There are smaller altars on either side of the chancel arch.
The modern stained glass window in the chancel is one of the few examples of stained glass in a Madeiran church.
This is an attractive church well away from the bustle of tourist Funchal.
||Back to top