Romania - Mountains, Monasteries and Medieval Cities
An unspoilt interior hardly changed in three hundred years
are two doors into the church. One has memorials to the dead of both
World Wars. The number beside each name refers to the number of their
At the back of the church, external stairs lead up into the gallery.
Inside, a wooden gallery supported on ricketty pillars, was added in 1724 and runs round three sides of the walls. The front panels are painted with traditional flower designs.
There are simple bench seats in the nave. The women sat at the front with the men behind and the boys sat right at the back of the church. The side benches with their painted panel fronts were reserved for wealthier members of the village.
The elaborate bench with the painted back by the font may have been for the ministerís family.
The font is made from a stone capital of a former church. The Painted pulpit is C17th.
The large round chancel arch has an inscription dated 1743. The grey Baroque reredos above the altar has picture of Christ blessing the children. Above this is the equally impressive Baroque organ.
This is a lovely old church. The years have not treated it kindly and it is good to see the conservation work that has been carried out by the Mihai Eminescu Trust in preserving it.
||Back to top