Romania Mountains, Monasteries and Medieval Cities
The church in the main square is all that remains of a Dominican Monastery
church was part of a Dominican Monastery in Sighisoara. The monks left
in 1550 and their buildings were demolished at the end of the C19th when
the town hall was built on the site.
The church was built at the end of the C15th and again after Sighisoara’s great fire in 1676. It was the main Lutheran Church in the city. The best views are from the Clock tower.
From the outside it is a very plain whitewashed building on the main square of the Old town.
The inside is equally as plain with whitewashed walls and tall square pillars separating the two aisles.
The wooden galleries have painted fronts with symbols of the guilds.
There are C16th and C17th Anatolian prayer rugs displayed on the walls, given by wealthy merchants.
The C17th organ is above the west end.
The bronze font dates from 1440 and was made in a local workshop.
The dark wood altar piece is C17th
The church is open daily and there is a small charge to enter. The church is used for ogan concerts.
||Back to top