Romania - Mountains, Monasteries and Medieval Cities
Built on the highest part of the town, this dominates Sighisoara
|The Church on the hill is built at the highest point of the citadel. Next to it is the school.
The church is reached by a covered stairway with 176 steps known as the Scholars’ stairs. This was built in the C18th to give dry access to the school and church during the winter.
Next to the church is the one of the C13th towers which has a later house which was used by the guardians of the cemetery.
This is an attractive area with trees and shrubs surrounding the old graves.
The church is large, reflecting the importance of Medieval Sighisoara. Surrounded by trees, it is almost impossible to photograph. Work on the church began in the early C15th and it was built on the site of an earlier church, taking over 200 years to complete.
The church was originally built by the Roman catholics and the inside was covered with frescoes. After the Lutheran Reformation in 1547, the church became Protestant and the murals were covered up. Some of the original late C15th murals have been uncovered and restored recently. The best preserved are probably in the church porch.
In the north aisle is St George and the dragon.
The church contains several triptychs from closed fortified churches from the area.
Steps near the chancel lead down into the crypt, which is the oldest part of the church and only one to survive in Transylvania. In the C18th it was used for burials with rows of coffin niches on each side of the central passage. Wealthy Sighisoara citizens were buried here between 1780-1815. The niches were walled up in the 1990s
The church is open 10-6 daily and there is a small admission fee.
||Back to top