Flavours of Spain
Interpretation Centre, Cueva de Guadix
off the main square is a small interpretation centre with a
cave dwelling restored to what it might have been like in
the 1930-40s before electricity and running water arrived.
Families shared a comunal well. There is a video in English
about the caves as well as information boards.
Caves always faced south as the only source of light was through the door. The front was whitewashed. This acted as an antiseptic and also reflected heat in the summer. The small shelter by the door housed chickens.
They were entered through a double door screened by a curtain. The top could be left open to admit light.
The dwellings typically had between 2-8 rooms. Inside was the entrance hall. The sewing machine is placed to get the most light. Archways screened by curtains to help ventilation around the dwelling lead to the rest of the rooms.
The kitchen is always off the entrance hall and has a double door, allowing light into it. All cooking was done over a small open fire.
Off the back of the kitchen separated by a wooden half door, is the stable. On the walls are harness and tack and there is a display of agricultural implements. This would traditionally have had a rammed earth floor. It was cleaned out every morning and fresh straw laid.
Off the stable is the pantry and storage rooms. This was always one of the innermost rooms with little ventilation and a very constant temperature.
The centre is open 10-2 and 4-6 but is closed on Saturday afternoons and all day Sunday. It is well worth a visit.
||Back to top