Flavours of Spain
from the C13th or C14th, this Moorish fortification
stands on a steep rocky outcrop to the south of the
town. Looking straight into the sun it is almost impossible
Overlooking valley of the Rio Lanjaron, it protected the town from attacks from the south and guarded the route from Granada to the Alpujarras villages. There are excellent views across the counrtyside from the top of the tower.
This was a Moor stronghold until 1490 when the Catholic King, Fernand conquered the area. There was a Moorish revolt a few years later and, after a bloody battle, Qasim the Moorish commander threw himself from the castle walls rather than surrender.
The castle is now in ruins and is a square keep surrounded by walls.
It is an easy walk to the castle which is signed off the A 348 bypass and is reached up steep stone steps. Rather than returning to the bypass, follow the footpath through El Parque del Salado climbing up the valley of the Barranco Saledo which comes out near the Tourist Information Office. It is a lovely walk through mixed woodland with eucalyptus trees.
||Back to top