Norse or Click Mills
The last surviving example of a horizontal water mill on
Click Mill, near Kirbuster
Farm Museum, has been carefully restored to working
order. It was built around 1823 and was in use until the
1880s. It is a small dry stone building with a turf covered
roof and entered through a single doorway.
Water was brought along a stone slab channel into the base of the mill.
This mill is unusual as it had a double paddle
This rotated the upper millstone in the meal house. Grain was fed through a hopper which was jiggled by a clapper which was struck each time the millstone rotated, producing the characteristic clicking noise. The ground flour was collected in a wooden chest.
The mill is open all hours and is in the care of Historic Environment Scotland. The nearest post code is KW17 2JB and the grid reference is HY325228. There is a map here.
||Back to top