Transport

Talyllyn Railway - Part 4


Narrow Gauge Railway Museum - Locos, signs and signalling


The Ffestiniog Railway pioneered the use of steam locos in 1863 and other railways were quick to follow. Steam was gradually replaced by diesel in the early 1930s. 

The museum has an interesting selection of narrow gauge steam engines, including George Henry, an 1877 vertical boiler steam engine made by de Winton of Caernarfon, which ran on the Penrhyn Quarry Railway.

Narrow Gauge Railway Museum,
                Talyllyn Railway

The diminutive Dot, built in 1887 by the Beyer Garrett Company, spent its working life shunting and moving material on 18 track around their works at Gorton.

Narrow Gauge Railway Museum,
                Talyllyn Railway

The cabless Rough Pup was built by the Hunslet Engine Company in 1891 for the Dinorwic Quarries. It was taken to Llanberis by rail and then dismantled before being hauled up the inclines. It was then reassembled before hauling slate and waste on the levels high above the valley. 

Narrow Gauge Railway Museum,
                Talyllyn Railway

Locomotive 13 was built by William Spence and company in Dublin in 1895 and worked in the Guinness Brewery in Dublin.

Narrow Gauge Railway Museum,
                Talyllyn Railway

Locomotive Number 2 is another small cabless loco, built by Kerr, Stuart and company for Dundee gas Works in 1901. It needed to be low to run under the gas retorts.

Narrow Gauge Railway Museum, Talyllyn Railway

The star of the loco collection is Jubilee built in 1897 by Manning Wardle and Company in Leeds for Cilgwyn Quarry near Nantlle. When the quarry closed it was sold to the Penrhyn Quarry Company. It was one of the largest locos ever built to work on the narrow gauge quarry lines. This is a very popular exhibit as visitors are allowed onto the footplate.
 
Narrow Gauge Railway Museum,
                Talyllyn Railway

The museum walls are covered with engine nameplates and railway signs.

Narrow Gauge Railway Museum, Talyllyn Railway

Narrow Gauge Railway Museum, Talyllyn Railway

Narrow Gauge Railway Museum, Talyllyn Railway

There are signal levers, token machines and telephones as well as bells and repeaters.

Narrow Gauge Railway Museum, Talyllyn Railway

Narrow Gauge Railway Museum, Talyllyn Railway
 
Many narrow gauge have now disappeared, having been replaced by all lorries, trucks, conveyor belts and fork lift trucks in the 1950s. The Talyllyn was the first railway to be preserved by a group of volunteers, soon followed by the Ffestiniog Railway. Others followed. The museum is a wonderful memory of the glory days of the narrow gauge railways.

<<Previous page
Back to top
Next page>>


Eleanor's Pages Index


MAIN SITE MAP