Yaroslavl - Street Scenes

In 1010 Prince Yaroslav the Wise decided to build a port here on the Volga. The pagan locals, not impressed with his plans, set the sacred She-Bear (mother of the human race) on him. He killed the bear with his battle axe and his power so impressed the locals that the resulting town was seen to be invincible. That's as maybe, but Yaroslavl did become the major port on the Volga, its merchants prospering on trade with Europe and the Middle East and building grand churches with their wealth. Today Yaroslavl has a population of about 700,000 so is the largest of the Golden Ring towns. The bear still figures in the town's coat of arms.

Click on any photo to see an enlarged version.


Flats

Epiphany

Epiphany

Epiphany

Epiphany

Saviour

Saviour

Imperial

Town planning

Decay

Bogavlenskaya pl

Kotorosl River

Volga & Kotorosl

Archbishop's Palace

Archbishop's Palace

War Memorial

Soviet offices

Czarist offices


For next gallery click here >>

If you closed Golden Ring Index click here to reopen it


MAIN SITE MAP