Church of Ascension of Christ of St Isidore the Blessed - 1566
The original Ascension Cathedral - Rostov's oldest church - is on the right.
In 1770 a side chapel dedicated to St Isidore (now demolished) and belfry were added.
Tucked away off ulitsa Karla Marksa in the northeast corner of the town ramparts,
from which it is seen here, initial views were unpromising. However the path to it
had been relaid and closer inspection showed scarves tied to the door handle.
(Ladies are expected to cover their heads and some churches provide scarves).
previous picture return to gallery next picture